Akima is seeking a dynamic talented individual to lead the understanding of technical aspects of requests for proposals (RFPs), storyboarding, crafting of technical solutions, developing content, and delivery of the highest quality proposal technical solutions volumes to address the offerings Akima delivers to our Federal, Civilian and Defense customers. The candidate will join the Proposal/Capture Center of Excellence and work directly with business development, capture, and proposal professionals to engage in storyboarding, assist in building solutions, write and translate technical concepts into graphics mockups and in all aspects of delivery of technical responses to proposals across the corporation. This position provides an outstanding opportunity to lead technical proposal responses to one of the fastest growing companies in industry supporting Information Technology (ranked #38 Washington Technology), Facilities Operations and Maintenance, and Logistics Support Services/Contractor Logistics Support.
The mission support and systems engineering solutions writer is responsible for the development of accurate, compelling messaging and high quality content for proposals by researching, engaging with subject matter experts (SMEs) writing solutions related to a variety of topics such as software and IT systems solutions, database development and management, systems architecture, research and development services, office administration services, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and emerging technologies, C5ISR services, telecommunications technologies (wired and wireless/satellite telecommunication services), IT and equipment operations and maintenance (O&M) services, software development life cycle methodologies (such as Agile/SCRM, DevOps, DevSecOps), and other related methodologies and technologies.
The candidate is responsible for proactively engaging with SMEs, program managers, and other experts related to the subject matter to research, storyboard, and build technical solutions and conceptual writing blueprints based on the RFP; the candidate is responsible for writing clear, concise, accurate, and compliant responses to RFPs, using the conceptualized solution. The candidate is also responsible for participating in all color reviews and leading the timely recovery and resolution of all comments as well as coordinating with the graphics and editing teams to ensure a final product is ready for submission.
The successful candidate will exhibit strong writing skills to ensure consistency and clarity to meet client needs. This position is an opportunity for those gifted with the ability to craft an interesting story while adhering to strict deadlines on multiple projects. The candidate will conduct interviews with technical and management SMEs, program leaders, and key personnel, will create writing strategies, and work with graphic designers to further develop proposal concepts and translate them into graphics that complement and enhance the content.
This is a chance for an experienced proposal and solutions writer to bring in experience and best practices. This individual will be able to apply previous experience with the breadth of resources found in a $1B (+) corporation, and leverage these attributes in a unique business environment.
- Responsible for leading technical sections as assigned and ensuring compliance with all RFP requirements for Akima’s Mission Support and System Engineering portfolios.
- Review client RFP and Statement of Work (SOW) to help determine how to structure the solution to be compliant, compelling, and highly rated by the client.
- Engages with the capture managers during pre-RFP stage to assist with solution development and other capture support activities, where applicable.
- Assist in capturing the required elements needed to develop technically compliant responses to solicitations.
- Participates as a major stakeholder in all capture and proposal strategy reviews and provides oversight and guidance on proposal compliance and quality.
- Works under the guidance of the capture manager and the proposal manager to generate appropriate compliant text for assigned sections.
- Incorporates information from Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to be included in the proposal.
- Writes clear, persuasive, proposal sections; translates complex ideas into easily understandable text.
- Researches and gathers information for use in proposal development activities.
- Participates in strategy and solution sessions, as detailed in Akima Competitive Win Plan (ACWP) and internal training, to produce proposal artifacts well ahead of actual proposal phase
- Participates in storyboarding and content development meetings.
- Participates in color reviews, providing detailed feedback to proposal teams.
- Develops win themes and incorporates strategies developed in review teams for final proposal drafts.
- Interviews program managers and task leads, and other technical personnel to collect methodology information and incorporate that information into writing winning technical approach sections of proposals.
- Once an opportunity has been qualified, attend all gate reviews, pipeline reviews, and other BD/Capture meetings as an opportunity stakeholder.
- Incorporates feedback based on reviews to ensure the final narrative is compliant, compelling, and high scoring.
- Identifies, resolves, mitigates, and escalates gaps and risks to proposal management and operations leadership.
- Office environment. Some travel (10%) may be required.
- Bachelor's Degree (minimum)
- 12 plus years technical and/or proposal writing with a minimum of 4 years proposal writing, experience mostly with large, complex opportunities of total contract value of at least $50M and often requiring solutions in addition to technical approach and other proposal volumes.
- Demonstrated experience writing, managing, participating in, and/or developing complex, voluminous proposals for significant opportunities including, specifically technical and solutions
- Experience writing solutions related to IT, software, systems architecture, databases, machine/artificial intelligence, research and development services, office administration services, subject matter expert support, C5ISR services, telecommunications telecommunication services, emerging technologies, and equipment operations and maintenance services.
- Ability to research, absorb and capture varied information; multitask and balance competing deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of the organization’s products, services, and customer base (Mission Support and Systems Engineering).
- Efficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Highly organized, team-oriented, enthusiastic, independent thinker, and collaborative.
- Must possess excellent reading comprehension, writing, spelling, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance