Federal Proposal Manager
Operations · Washington, District of Columbia
Beyond20 is seeking an experienced Federal Proposal Manager to join our growing training and consulting practice based in Washington DC. This position will report to the Executive Director but will work with a significant degree of autonomy, exercising discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.
The Federal Proposal Manager will be responsible for managing and monitoring the end-to-end proposal process and coordinate the work of the proposal team in the development and execution of Requests for Proposals (RFPs), Requests for Quotations (RFQs), Requests for Information (RFIs), etc. The Proposal Manager will work with cross-functional proposal team members to manage the proposal development process and ensure on-time delivery of compelling, compliant, and winning proposals. This individual will evaluate Requests for Proposals (RFP) and develop proposal outlines, help craft win themes and discriminators, and manage schedules. He or she will analyze and manage proposal content and provide direction for review team recovery of proposal documents.
The position involves researching, writing, and producing a high volume of client-facing documentation in support of an array of our products and services. This role will regularly communicate, coordinate, and collaborate with a variety of internal stakeholders including Executive staff as well as Business Development, Capture, Sales, Marketing, and Engineering leads as well as other subject matter experts. In short - this is a highly visible role.
The qualified candidate will have experience translating technical specifications and capabilities into engaging copy for use in proposals. Federal Proposal writing experience is required, and experience working in IT or CyberSecurity market space(s) is a plus.
The position is based in our downtown Washington, DC office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize strategic planning and capture meetings with capture managers and business development stakeholders to establish discriminators, win themes, value propositions, strengths, risk reducers, and differentiated solutions to initiate the proposal outline
- Oversee proposal development activities and deadlines to ensure the critical strategic messages are embodied in the proposal and that the win strategy is evident in the final product to maximize probability of win
- Manage overall proposal effort to include:
- Create compliance, competency, and "go/no go" matrices
- Summarize RFP requirements and ensure all participants have the most current information
- Create templates and data calls as needed to facilitate effective proposal development
- Analyze RFP documentation to construct outlines, storyboards, and ensure all compliance elements are met
- Write and/or revise proposal content to achieve target messaging and ensure it is articulated throughout the proposal
- Coordinate with internal and external resources to ensure content, graphics, and requirements are met for a winning proposal
- Conduct formal management reviews (red/pink/gold, etc.) including the collection and distribution of commentsExamine proposal content to ensure compliance to RFP requirements, evaluation criteria, and technical requirements and conduct final pre-submission proposal reviews
- Organize, schedule, and conduct proposal kick-off meetings
- Establish a method for proposal team communication (posting changes to solicitations, responding to Q&A, sharing document drafts, etc.)
- Write, compile, review, and edit proposal materials
- Manage proposal schedules including establishing a master schedule, enforcing milestones and deadlines, managing and adjusting schedules, and ensuring the delivery of fully compliant federal proposal responses
- Coordinate the assembly of proposals for submission
Other duties will also include:
- Maintain, augment and improve the library of reusable components, templates, and processes to reduce response time and continually improve the quality of future bids
- Write persuasively as part of executive summaries and other critical proposal components that highlight the business’s value proposition
- Advise proposal contributors and researchers on elements of style, syntax, and usage to improve the organization, flow, readability, completeness, and clarity of responses
- 3+ years of proposal management and coordination
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Must be a proficient writer with experience creating and managing proposal related documents; i.e. proposal directives, executive summaries, compliance matrices, proposal outlines, and final submissions
- Must understand the federal procurement process, proposal preparation, proposal evaluation, and compliance auditing
- Must be familiar with the government procurement lifecycle from development of requirements through award of contracts and must demonstrate a thorough and detailed understanding of the Government acquisition and source selection process
- Must have superior oral and written communication and facilitation skills, with the proven ability to direct a diverse team of technical and management personnel
- Proven ability to work across organizations with effective communication, leadership, and project management skills
- Attention to detail, organization, and time management
- Excellent writing, grammar, and communication skills
- Ability to work in a deadline-conscious, results-driven environment
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with collaboration tools such as Microsoft SharePoint
- Experience with Cyber Security and IT
- Familiarity with SaaS and Cloud Technologies